Friday, June 17, 2011

Noanet Woodlands - Dover MA

                         Today although a little bit wet and rainy I ventured to Noanet Woodlands in Dover which was about a 50 minute ride from my house. Well worth the drive and definitely a great place for a day hike. There are enough trails here to walk around for hours in order to see everything. As for me I was crunched for time and only stayed for an hour and a half and left wishing I had more time.
                          The parking lot is on Deham street at Caryl park and there are tennis courts, a basketball court and at the head of the trail there is a fantastic map that shows you all the trails, and what color they are blazed, to follow in order to get to your destination. Compared to Noon Hill, which is also managed by the trustees of reservations, the trails at Noanet as much better marked and everything was very easy to find.
                          I followed the red trailed which is called Caryl Loop. That trail leads to Noanet Peak Trail which I took and after a good paced 25 minute hike I reached the top. There was decent elevation gain throughout the hike up and the view from the peak even on a cloudy day was amazing. I can only imagine what it would look like on a clear, sunny day.
                         After coming down from the peak I followed the trail back down to where it intersects back to the Caryl Hill trail and also Peabody Loop. I took the Caryl Hill Loop trail and followed the signs to the Dam and Mill site which is a really serene place. After stopping at the dam for some pictures I followed the trail back to the parking lot but not before passing over a cool little brook flowing right through the woods.
                        I can't justify giving Noanet 5 out of 5 stars just because I've yet to hike the remaining trails but I can absolutely give it a 4.5 out of 5 for now and I promise if you take the trip to Dover you will be very pleased. I will post pictures as soon as I have some time but def before the end of the weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment